Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"I Can Do All Things Through Christ"

Let me tell you a story. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Back in June I decided this was it- I decided I'm going to lose the weight once and for all! So, I signed up for a gym membership. And I started going. And I've seen some results. (side note- I've also started using the MyFitnessPal app) I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there. And I'm learning and growing spiritually in the process as well, which has been an unexpected blessing.

I've come to realize I need The Lord's help so much. There are days when I am simply tired and worn out from working all day and I just don't want to go to the gym. But, I pray for help and somehow I find myself in the car on my way.

I have experienced several spiritual moments when I've been running on the treadmill, as odd as that may be. I honestly have felt like at times there have been angels around me - cheering me on and giving me the strength to just go a little longer. I know The Lord knows this is something I want so much, so He's helping me.

Guess what? I'm not perfect. I sometimes fall (not literally, thankfully!). Like last week when I didn't make it to the gym at all and I actually gained two pounds. But, I'm learning that that's ok. This week is a new week and a new chance to do better. 

I felt impressed to share this. I know I am not alone in these struggles. But, I wanted to let everyone know if I can do this, anyone can do this. But, only with The Lord's help.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said, "We don't have to be fast; we simply have to be steady and move in the right direction. We have to do the best we can, one step after another. The only thing you need to worry about is striving to be the best you can be. And how do you do that? You keep your eye on the goals that matter most in life, and you move towards them step by step. That is easy enough. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." ("One Step After Another, Ensign, Nov. 2001, 26.)

I know that's true.

2 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for sharing that quote from elder Wirthlin. I've heard of it before but it's a great reminder to really be the best we can be, not to compare ourselves to others too thinking that they are "better" ya know? I can totally relate to you because I've struggled with my weight since I was 8 years old. I am probably at my heaviest now and it does make me upset sometimes or I beat myself up about it but as long as I try and eat healthy most of the time that's what matters and i REALLY need to just start exercising again..i mean, i can't go do Zumba or cardio but i can do simple arm movements. i gotta start somewhere, so why not tomorrow!? text me tomorrow so i can answer to someone lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not in this alone, Brittany! Ok. I'll text you tomorrow. Working out is on my To-do list too!

    ReplyDelete