Saturday, February 9, 2013

What's Love Got to Do With it?

(I thought this post would be especially fitting with Valentine's Day coming up. :) )

Since most of my job consists of me working by myself at a computer, I can listen to music or talks during the day. I sometimes listen to talks given by LDS Church leaders to uplift and inspire me as I go throughout my work day.

One day this past week I listened to a talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church. The talk is titled, "The Love of God." It is really powerful. I was touched. The following quote really struck me:

"Because love is the great commandment, it ought to be at the center of all and everything we do in our own family, in our Church callings, and in our livelihood. Love is the healing balm that repairs rifts in personal and family relationships. It is the bond that unites families, communities, and nations. Love is the power that initiates friendship, tolerance, civility, and respect. It is the source that overcomes divisiveness and hate. Love is the fire that warms our lives with unparalleled joy and divine hope. Love should be our walk and our talk."

What struck me the most in that quote was the phrase, "Love is the power that initiates friendship." Personally, this applies to my life right now as I just moved to a new place and am trying to meet new people and make new friends.

This talk made me realize that sometimes I need to step back and see the bigger picture. It's easy to just go through out life without thinking about what we're doing, if that makes sense. But, I really think life in general would be a lot more fulfilling if we purposely went into things thinking about why we do what we do. Are we participating in that service project because we love the people we are serving? Do we think about the fact that maybe if we pray to have more love for someone that might help our relationship with that person? Is love part of our livelihood?

As he says, love should be at the center of everything we do.

So, what's love got to do with it (whatever "it" is, anyway)? Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment