Monday, February 25, 2013

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

I like to keep up with what's going on in the world by reading or watching the news. (I think part of it has to do with the fact that I studied Communications in college. In a few of my classes we were required to keep up with what was going on in the news.)

However, lately I've been really depressed by the news. It seems like there are so many horrible, horrible things going on in the world. It's true. And guess what? It's only going to get worse as we grow closer to the Second Coming. 

So, one might be looking for answers to all of this madness. While we don't won't always know why things happen, we can be assured that we are never alone. While there are still so many things going wrong in this world, there are still some things that are right. 

What keeps me going is my faith in and my knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ. We can only truly find peace by turning to our Savior. I really like the words of the following hymn:

Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.


Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924

Our Savior knows us and loves us perfectly. He has said, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. “For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30) 

No comments:

Post a Comment