Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Reason For the Season

(image credit: lds.org)
"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world....And behold, I am the light and the life of the world..." (3 Nephi 11:10-11) 

There have been a lot of great men who have lived on this earth. Many whom I admire and respect.

But there is one man I admire and respect above all. That is our Savior Jesus Christ. He is the reason we have Christmas.

Because I call myself a Christian - a follower and disciple of Christ (at least that's what I aspire to be)- I feel a sense of responsibility to share what I have come to know with others.

I know our Savior is perfect. Everything about Him and the way He lived his life here on earth was perfect. He loves us with a perfect love. I don't even comprehend how much he loves us all, but I know it's a lot.

Because He loves us all so much, He is forgiving and understanding. He knows we will make mistakes. He knows we are not perfect - yet. But, he's ok with that. He sees our potential.

He suffered and died for each one of us - each person who has ever lived on this earth or who ever will live on this earth. Not only did he suffer for our sins, but he suffered temptations, sickness, afflictions - everything.

Alma Chapter 7 verses 11 & 12 says, "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

I know that is true. And I know it from personal experience. He has succored me. He has shown mercy and compassion on me. I am humbled when I think of what He has done and continues to do for me. I think the words of the hymn describe so well how I feel, "oh it is wonderful that he would care for me enough to die for me. Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me." (I Stand All Amazed)

In short, I know He was born, He lived, He died on the cross and was resurrected. I know He will come again. I know we can go to Him and He will help us carry our burdens.

He is our Savior, redeemer, the Prince of peace. He is why we celebrate Christmas. May we all have more of Him in our life (I've always found it so interesting that "mas" in Spanish means "more.").

Merry Christmas. Love, Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment