Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Lord's Hand in Our Lives

While I was working today I listened to a recent BYU devotional address given by Cecil Samuelson and his wife, Sharon. The address is entitled, "The Lord's Hand in Our Lives." (It can be found here)

President and Sister Samuelson recounted several experiences from their lives that demonstrated to them the Lord's hand in their lives. I enjoyed the entire talk, but one quote in particular really stood out to me. Sister Samuelson said, 

"seeming disappointments and disasters are often the keys that open the doors to greater blessings and opportunities than might have ever been hoped for or even conceived.

For those of you wondering why similar blessings are not now yours, we can only remind you of Jesus’ promises and blessings that will yet be yours but that are not possible without significant trials and disappointments beforehand."

Wow. I just really liked that. It reminded me that I don't see the whole picture. I don't know everything. But, the Lord does. The Lord sees the end from the beginning and I've got to trust Him. 

I must say, I feel I have been blessed to see the Lord's hand in my life several times. I have been blessed to have a testimony that the Lord places me where I need to be when I need to be there. But, there are definitely times when I still doubt and need to be reminded that the Lord is in control. 

This all reminds me of my absolute favorite poem. I first came across it when I was 15 years old. At the time, my family was in the process of moving from California to Utah. I was devastated and didn't understand why we had to move. My Mom gave me a little card with the poem on it. I've loved it ever since. 

My life is but a weaving between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors,
He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow,
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.

Not ’til the loom is silent
and the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
and explain the reason why.

I know this is true. Heavenly Father sees the whole canvas. Hopefully one day we'll be able too too. Until then, we've got to trust Him and appreciate the times when we can see His hand in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment