Sunday, August 18, 2013

How Full Is Your Bucket?

I'm reading an awesome book right now titled, "How Full is Your Bucket?" (written by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton)

The idea is that we each have a "bucket." Every time we have an encounter with someone we are either adding to someone's bucket or taking away from it. Of course, the goal is to always be adding to the other person's bucket.

The whole book is about being positive, rather than negative - focusing on what's right instead of what's wrong.

The book talks about how important "moments" are. We experience approximately 20,000 individual moments in a waking day. The book talks about how a single encounter/moment can change your life forever. Therefore, it's important to make each encounter with another person a good one.

I wasn't thinking about this until I was leaving church today and driving home and realized how blessed I am that my "bucket" was filled today.

Just before I left the church building I was walking down the hall and a nice person just stopped and said something to the effect of, "Hello. What is your name?" We had a brief exchange and I learned that they are new to the congregation. That brief encounter "filled my bucket." It was nothing amazing - something so simple- but it had a powerful impact on me. It also made me realize that I need to step out of my comfort zone and do the same. By so doing I could help make someone's day a little brighter.

And there was also the time today when I was in the bathroom and a nice girl complimented me on my necklace. 

And then there was also the time today when my friend so willingly offered to give me a ride to the airport this weekend- when she just picked me up from the airport a couple of weeks ago. So nice of her. 

And now I am feeling kind of ashamed because I don't think I did my part to fill other's buckets today. Very selfish of me. The good thing though is I can repent and be better. So grateful for the Atonement.

Anyway, just some thoughts I wanted to share. Go fill some buckets! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment