Saturday, April 13, 2013

"Lord, I Believe"

Last weekend was General Conference. Members of the LDS Church (and the public) had the opportunity to hear from modern day prophets & apostles, the leaders of our Church. I love General Conference. It is such a spiritual feast.

My favorite talk was given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. He spoke about faith. I was touched. (As I mentioned previously, I've been thinking about faith a lot lately.) View the whole talk here. I haven't really been thinking of faith as in whether or not I have faith that the Church is true (which I kind of felt like that's what Elder Holland was addressing in the talk. But, maybe not). But, rather, I've been wanting to grow my faith that the Lord can provide miracles in my life.

At the beginning of Elder Holland's talk, he gives an example from the scriptures where Jesus heals a boy. Before Jesus healed the boy, there was a conversation that took place between Jesus and they boy's father.

“If thou canst do any thing,”  [the father] said, “have compassion on us, and help us.

“Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
“And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.”
The Lord can perform miracles in our lives, if we believe. Gaining that faith and belief is a process. But, Heavenly Father knows we are not perfect. He is patient with us. Thankfully, we don't have to be perfect to see miracles in our lives.

What touches me most in these passages of scripture is "all things are possible to him that believeth." ALL things. Even when it seems there is absolutely no way something can happen. (Of course, we must realize that the Lord has His will and sometimes His will is not what we want to happen. But, we can come to know that that the Lord has the power to do anything, if it is His will.)

One of my favorite church songs is by Felicia Sorenson. It is titled, "Just Like He Said He Would." Listen to it here. I love it. I tried to find the lyrics, but couldn't. So, listen to it. One of my favorite lines is, "Just like He said He would... He'll make a way when there's no way at all." I know that is true. Sometimes I have to ask for Heavenly Father to help me remember and feel that that is true, but that's ok.

I'm so grateful for the Savior. It is amazing to know that yes, He performed some amazing miracles while He was on the earth, but He can also perform miracles today - personal miracles for each of us. We just need to have faith.

I don't know if anyone actually reads this blog, but if someone does, I hope you find something here that helps you. Writing on this blog has been a great thing for me, so if nothing else, I am really loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment