Friday, August 15, 2014

Motherhood

I read an amazing talk today given by a lady named Sharon Eubank entitled, "This is a Woman's Church." It was all about the role of women in the LDS Church. Read it here. Really good. I, personally, have never felt like I am less than men in this church. I know we have different responsibilities. One of those is that women get to be mothers. 

I loved what she said about this. This lady is 50 years old and single. No kids of her own. But she said the following:

"As a creator, Eve was so desirous to be a mother that she sacrificed Eden for it. And she did that willingly and knowingly. Adam called his wife’s name “Eve” and you know what it means. It means she was the mother of all living. But I find it so interesting she had no children when he called her that. But she was given a title, a divine title, that means there is heritage in this. And so whether you have children in this life or not, when you have your endowment and you are given the name, you are an inheritor of that. And it means that you have the title to be a mother." 

What struck me the most was that Eve had no children when she was called the mother of all living. I had never thought of it that way! 

I am not yet a "mother" with kids of my own. But I will be one day. Either in this life or the next. I look forward to that so much. I know it is my divine privilege to be a mother to precious children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment