Monday, January 27, 2014

Lessons On The Way To Work



Heavenly Father sure likes to teach me lessons on my way to work. 

Today's lesson came as I saw a huge cloud of smoke and heard sirens. Apparently someone's house was burning away. As I saw what I saw and heard the sirens, I thought, "Wow. I am so blessed. My life could be so, so much worse." It has been said that if everyone were to put their trials on the middle and had the chance to pick someone else's trials we'd all leave happy with our own. It was just like that. 

I don't know why this affected me so powerfully today, but it did. The lesson: be grateful for my trials.

Another time I learned a lesson on my way to work was in May of 2012. I remember exactly where I was and what song was on the radio (it was "Some Nights" by Fun).

I was doing my daily commute from Lehi, Utah to Sandy, Utah. I was near the point of the mountain. All of the sudden, the cars in front of me started slowing down. Way down. My heart sunk. I just knew it was an accident. My worries were confirmed when I saw a man - about middle aged - lying there on the pavement of the freeway. Yes, he was lying there on the freeway. And he was lifeless. Someone was doing CPR on him. I just knew he was dead. The paramedics hadn't even arrived yet, so I'm pretty sure it had just barely happened. (It was a motorcycle accident. And yes, the news later confirmed that the man had passed away.)

I was really shaken up by this. I immediately said a prayer. When I pulled into the parking lot at work I texted all of my family members and let them know I love them. I said another prayer.

The lessons I learned that day: life can be gone in the blink of an eye. Tell people you love them. Live life to the fullest.

I'm grateful Heavenly Father has the teaching moments with me. I am truly a child and I need to learn what life is all about from my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment