Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Testimony of the Temple

Photo of the Gilbert Temple from lds.org

This weekend I will have the opportunity to attend the open house of the Gilbert Arizona LDS Temple. Just thinking about it gets me so excited! ( By the way, the open house is open to everyone- members of our church or not.)

My first memory of temples is from when I attended the San Diego temple open house. I believe I was about 7 years old. I don't remember much other than this: I remember being in the celestial room and it was filled with light and I remember seeing rainbows from the sunlight hitting the crystals on the chandelier. I remember feeling amazing peace.

I love temples, which are houses of The Lord. I have never felt closer to The Lord than when I've been in His Holy house. 

As Latter-day Saints we believe families can be together forever - meaning marriages and family relationships don't have to end at death. "Until death do you part" does not have to happen! Eternal marriages are performed in temples. But, just because a couple is married in the temple does not mean they're done- they've got it made. In order for their marriage to be eternal they must be faithful to each other and God. 

I look forward to having my own eternal marriage and family one day. I know that because God is a just God, he will provide that opportunity in His own time and His own way. 

In the temple we make sacred covenants- or promises- with God. The temple is not secret, it is sacred. Because we believe it is so sacred, there are certain standards of worthiness one must adhere to to be able to enter. All who are willing to abide by these standards are free to come and worship in the temple and partake of the blessings.

And I can tell you firsthand the blessings are so great. I love going to the temple because it is quiet and beautiful. It gives me the opportunity to leave the crazy world behind for a little bit. It helps me refocus and remember the big picture. There is a plan. This life is just a small part of that plan. The trials I face won't last forever. I love being reminded of this. I need to be reminded of this. That is why I try to go as often as I can. 

I can't even express in words how much I love temples and how much I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I feel so blessed to have these blessings in my life!

For more information visit: lds.org/temples

No comments:

Post a Comment